"And I pray that you being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ." Ephesians 3:17b-18

Thursday, May 30, 2013



Uganda Summer 2013
Newsletter #2 / May 30, 2013

First day’s thoughts….by Danielle

Today was our first full day at Sanctuary of Grace, and my first time on the compound. We attended the morning assembly with the children. They were lined up by class. The boys were dressed in their uniform shirts and shorts. The girls had on dresses. I was surprised to see that the boys and the girls had shaved heads. I later learned that this was due to a sanitary concern. They all had beautiful, bright smiles and were happy to see us. We were introduced to the children as a group, and we taught them the chicken dance to break the ice. Most of the children learned very quickly, and followed along with us. As it was time for them to break up into their individual classes, they marched into their rooms. I couldn’t help but notice their feet as they walked by. Some children had on shoes that were too small, some had on shoes that were too big, some had on shoes that were taped together, and some children had no shoes at all. It broke my heart to see their worn, tired feet at such a young age.

We each went into our separate classrooms. As I introduced myself to the children, they looked at me very confused. Their teacher stepped in to interpret and explained to me that they didn’t understand my accent. She meant that I was speaking too fast. They understand English, but are not proficient. Tomorrow will be my first day of teaching. I am both nervous and excited. My challenge will be to talk slowly and use simple terms that they can understand. I am anxiously looking forward to what tomorrow may bring and pray that the Lord will lead me in the right direction.

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”                 Matthew 28:19-20


Rhonda here - Though this is my 9th trip to Uganda, I am still in awe of the opportunity to share Jesus. On our bus ride up here I noted this in my journal:
Love binds people together which draws people from afar. Looking out the bus window at the vast land, I think what an opportunity this is that not only changes you, but others. If you open yourself up to God’s plan & purpose for you, you never know where it may lead you or where you may end up. You never want to be on the end of a missed opportunity.
Every trip I’ve made has impacted and changed me. I truly believe God’s word from Matthew 28:19-20 (seen above), for if no one ever goes to the mission field and shares the Love of God, those souls are lost. Missionaries help God’s children find their way to the cross, so if you can’t be a missionary, please support one.
Thank you to all who support us financially, and with love and prayer. With Love & prayers, Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment