"And I pray that you being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ." Ephesians 3:17b-18

Monday, July 30, 2012

Progress through God's design...


The end of another beautiful day serving in Africa.  One of the best feelings of peace & satisfaction is doing exactly what God ask you to do where He ask you to do it, no matter how uncomfortable you are or how far you are outside your comfort zone.  It was extremely hot today and even more so when inside a small room filled with faces, but seeing those faces absorb your story about Jesus is “cool”!  Songs were sang, stories from the Bible where told, loads of foam stickers (related to the stories) were used, snack time, play time, and more stories…what a Blessing.  It’s amazing how the smallest act of kindness and love shown here in Africa is so appreciated and not taken for granted.  How amazing it is to see how far the children at Sanctuary of Grace (SOG) have come since 2008 (when I joined the team).  Over the past 4 years the children have received a Biblically based education and at the end of the day the children put on a program for us “visitors” (as we are called).  They sang a very popular (at home) Christian song (“Light of the World”) in English with a heavy African accent…music to our ears. 
 – Rhonda




Today I had a most wonderful blessing! I was able to visit with a very special friend – Regina. She is a widow in her 70’s (we are approximating since age/birthday are not important here) who in 2006, when I first met her, was critically ill with congestive heart failure. Had she been in the US she would have been admitted to a cardiac ICU…but she was not…she was lying in the dirt outside her hut, where she had managed to crawl to since was too weak and sick to stand or even sit up. By the grace of God with the minimal treatment options here I prayerfully treated her. When I left in 2006 she was thankful for the help I had attempted to provide her & thanked God for the progress she had made. I will always remember that the goodbye in 2006 when she told me that when I came back if she was not here – she would be waiting for me in heaven.
In the years since 2006 she had regained her strength to the point of dancing in church as she praised the Lord for her healing – there was certainly no medical research to support her healing based on the minimal treatment she received. I have been able to visit her almost every time I come to Gulu & each time the meeting is even sweeter. I have no doubt that today will be the highlight of this trip, as I cannot imagine anything that can top it. We made our way through the bush on the “road” (a foot path filled with craters, ravines, tall grass, trees & a stream) arriving at her hut. As we got out the Land Rover her excitement was over whelming, as was mine. We embraced – praised God – visited – held hands – embraced some more. What a reunion! I so thankful the Lord saw fit to bring us together in a way that only He could have orchestrated. 

--Cindy




No comments:

Post a Comment