"And I pray that you being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ." Ephesians 3:17b-18

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ghana 2010

November 4, 2010                                        Newsletter #8

Dikpuni Village

"You are here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-seasonings of this earth . . .You are here to be light bringing out the God colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept." Matthew 5:13-14 The Message

This is one of the few times in my life I am finding words hard to come by. I know this day will stay forever in my mind and the people of the Dikpuni Village will remain in my heart. This village was about two hours from Tamale over dusty, pot-holed roads. As we approached, the people began to hesitantly approach. They greeted us with smiles and much curiosity but soon warmed up to our presence. We broke off into two teams – Cindy, Susan, Don, Rhonda with the health seminar and evangelism presentation and Phyllis, Lena, Mike, Jeff, Dan and myself with the children. The adults listened intently to the health and sanitation presentation while the children learned about Jesus, sang songs and played fun games. It amazes me how the simplest, home-made games are like gold to these children. To hear their laughter and giggles was the best music I have heard in a long time.

The second half of the afternoon was the medical clinic. For the next three and half hours in the hot sun we met the many needs of 423 people with medical supplies and assistance. The needs were so overwhelming and the people so humble and thankful. Again I was brought to tears as I looked up and saw men, women and children lined up in the hot, blistering sun waiting for whatever medicines they could get. Many waited for hours just to get a pack of 30 daily vitamins and received them as the greatest treasure they had ever received. I can't help but think of how we take so much for granted. I know I will never take another vitamin or Tylenol without seeing these people's faces and remembering their needs.

Johnny spent the afternoon with the Chief of Sognayilli. He was taken the Mega Voice Box for his village which contains the God Story in their language. He was very grateful and said he would listen to it often and share it with his village.

While we were making our way back to Tamale, Johnny headed off to another village for a crusade. The crusade ended with follow-ups for tomorrow, praise God.

On the fun side, the Chief of Dikpuni presented us with a guinea hen and the Chief of Sognayilli presented Johnny with a rooster! Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment